Cedarwood, listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the "Porter House," is the residence of Bob & Jeannie Chunn and serves as the "Cedarwood Bed & Breakfast." The home had its origins as a single room squatter's cabin constructed in the late 1820's or early 1830's. Numerous additions and renovations through about 1850 brought the house to its present configuration.
Cedarwood - The Porter House
Cedarwood is a Bed & Breakfast establishment in downtown Raymond, convenient to the Hinds County Courthouse, downtown businesses and restaurants.
Cedarwood's public spaces are finely furnished in antiques. Great attention was paid in the restoration process to ensure that each detail was authentic to the period of the Ninetenth Century. Of course, concessions were made for modern comfort and convenience. Yes, there is air conditioning and running indoor water; not to mention electric lights, cable televisions, and even wireless internet.
Cedarwood Glassed Rear Gallery
Cedarwood Upstairs sitting area
BEFORE being restored
BEFORE AND AFTER
The restoration of the Porter House took place over approximately 13 months (June 2004 through July 2005). But first, it had to be moved four miles to its new location in Raymond, behind the Hinds County Courthouse.
AFTER being restored
The restoration of the Porter House was honored by the Mississippi Heritage Trust by its being named to receive the prestegious Heritage Restoration Award of Excellence. Owners Bob and Jeannie Chunn accepted the award at the 2006 Mississippi Heritage Trust Conference held in Cleveland, Mississippi.